124 The Midi Skirt: Reloaded


View entire collection on Polyvore here.
So, after my last post on midi skirts, I have since accumulated two more. (*Four more, if you count the fact that my mum subsequently ordered the same two in bigger sizes that I can still hitch myself into with the help of a belt.) The midi skirt was already a big player in my closet, after the knee-length flared skirt, but mostly in printed varieties: one of my favourites is my first ever New Look purchase, a 'Monet circle skirt' with impressionist boat images (a then exhorbitant $33 buy, justified by its structure and versatility); followed by a cream lace midi my mum bought by proxy in Bangkok, which was discovered to be slightly less than 12.5" at the waist and hence only suitable for days when I don't eat much (though it's flattering to think that, when I'm not around, my mum thinks my waist is that tiny).

Now, I'm glad to see the preponderance of the high-waisted, plain midi skirt. It reminds me of Audrey Hepburn in Roman Holiday, with her light blue midi skirt, wide belt, and sleeves rolled up to the upper arm. A for Arcade's Leighton Midi was my first obsession, and still kind of is: I would've gotten all four colours if I could, only (a) I don't wear black, (b) I've had bad experiences with the colour 'peppermint', and (c) my mum already owns the tangerine colour. Then, after seeing this review on Best of Shopping, we eagerly proceeded to cart out Genie in a Closet's Nelly midi in both navy and black (navy for me, black for Mum). They are due to arrive via BO on the 4th of December, and I can't wait till then!

Above are four different ways I would style the midi skirt. My first weekend outfit after the end of the exams would be closest to the first: Love Kaisy's Fion top, in baby blue, paired with the Leighton midi in cobalt (see the pairing here); while my go-to smart casual outfit would probably be closest to the second: a white button-up shirt paired with, perhaps, the Nellie midi when it arrives.

Speaking of 'middles':



On the personal front, life after A levels has been frenzied and fun. I can't believe I no longer have to guilt trip myself about taking breaks and doing things I love (like making Polyvore sets). Here's a quick breakdown of what my first three days of freedom have been like:

Thursday (day of the last paper | first day of freedom)

  • Changed into the happiest, brightest dress I could find and took a bus to Orchard
  • Bought a book (Longbourn, by Jo Baker), an anthology (Love and Misadventure, by Lang Leav), and a magazine (InStyle's December edition: always one to watch for the Style 100) from Kinokuniya
  • Browsed through all my old favourite haunts and had a late lunch with Mum
  • Started on Longbourn the minute I got home
Friday (TGIF indeed!)
  • Woke up late, and decided impromptu to catch Hunger Games: Catching Fire with my brothers
  • Both the sibling bonding time and the movie proved to be extremely satisfying (the second novel was my favourite of the trilogy, after all)
  • Went to see Bolshoi Ballet's Swan Lake at the Esplanade in the evening. Bought the tickets months ago and was SO STOKED to cross this off my bucket list. Choreography was underwhelming, to say the least, but the Russians' ballon and, needless to say, ARCHES are amazing. Kudos to the men in particular, I felt, for carrying off such spectacular jumps! 
  • Stayed up till 1.30AM to finish Longbourn. I am so glad it's going to be made into a movie!!
Saturday
  • Browsed the Internet till mid afternoon, then went for an hour's swim with my dad. It's been two years since I last swam, can you believe it? I forgot how awful chlorine tastes, though. 
Needless to say, it's been three days of things I absolutely love: books, ballet, and fashion. It's good to be back!

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Pls let me know if you want to sell genie in a closet midi in navy (s) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I'm sorry, mine is a size M and I'm not selling it at the moment :(

      Delete